Pet Immigration Forms and Instructions

If you are traveling to another country, you need to have the proper documents. Most countries have their own version of a veterinary certificate. In addition some countries require an import permit.

International Health Certificate

The International Health Certificate should be issued by your veterinarian as near to the date of travel as possible but never more than 14 days before travel.

The certificate should indicate the following:

  • Name of pet
  • Breed
  • Color
  • Age of Pet
  • Country Of Origin
  • Name/address/phone number of the Owner of Pet

The certificate should state that the pet is healthy and free of parasites. The rabies shot must be given at least 30 days before travel but not more than 12 months before travel.

If there is not a health certificate for the country you are visiting, then you should use the International Health Certificate USDA-APHIS 7001 form. It is officially known as “United States Interstate and International Certificate of Health Examination for Small Animals.” This form is available from your veterinarian.

If you are traveling to an EU country, you must use the new EU form 998 Veterinary Certificate when traveling with your pet to any of the countries of the European Union.

USDA Certification

All EU Countries as well as many other countries require that a veterinarian certificate issued in the United States have an official USDA Certification stamp.

Each state has a USDA (United States Department of Agriculture) /APHIS (Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service) /VS (Veterinary Services) area veterinarian.

You need to have an accredited veterinarian complete the veterinary health certificate for the Country you are visiting. The accredited veterinarian will need to complete and sign the form. Mail the original of the form to the USDA/APHIS/VS Area Office in your state and they will endorse and stamp it.

Find the nearest USDA office:

CFIA Certification for Canadian Pet Travelers

Most countries require that a veterinarian certificate issued in Canada by a licensed veterinarian then be endorsed by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA).

If you are traveling to an EU country, you need to have your veterinarian complete the EU form 998.

Your vet will complete the veterinary certificate including the vaccination record and will affirm that the pet is free of parasites, free of diseases communicable to humans, and in good health. The Veterinarian must sign and date the forms required for the country you are visiting. Mail the original of the form to the nearest CFIA and they will endorse and stamp it.

Find the nearest CFIA offices:

You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 Responses to “Pet Immigration Forms and Instructions”

  1. Ginger Jason says:

    I’m thinking about to ship my 9 years old Pug to Japan since I’m going there to work. But I’m afraid he’s too old to be on the flight.

  2. mitzy says:

    hello i was wondering what kind of papers does my dog need have so he could fly from los angeles,california to oklahoma city, oklahoma and how much will u guys charge me? please comment me back as soon as possible thank u

Leave a Reply


Spam Protection by WP-SpamFree

Find BlackBerry Phones for Sale Online. | Thanks to Top Bank CD Rates, Free MMORPG Games and Home Information Packs